St. Catherine began in 1841 as a mission church at 24 Harrison Street. It was named after Catherine Landers, a generous contributor to the building fund.
The first church was built at 90 Anderson Street in 1890, but the property was sold and proceeds were used to buy property and build a larger church on Winyah Avenue, now known as Lincoln Avenue. It was decided in 1909 under Reverend M.O. Hayes.
Succeeding pastors were: Reverend Cameron C. Alleyne who ended his years at St. Catherne when he was elected by the General Conference to become the first resident Bishop of Africa.
The Reverend Dr. Redmond S. Oden was pastor of the church during the crucial and dramatic years from 1936 to 1946.
During the sixteen years of the Reverend William E. Carrington's pastorate, the church became more involved and active in the community.
The plans for the new church were continued under Reverend Andrew E. Whitted, and the present church was dedicated in May 1971.
The Reverend Dr. Vernon A. Shannon pastored the church for 25 years. Under his leadership we sposored the Lincoln Tower Senior Housing Development.
The Reverend Dr. Michael J. Rouse was appointed the pastor of the church in March 1997 and served for 19 years. During his pastorate much was done to enhance the physical appearance of the bulding.
The Reverend Wallace L. Noble was appointed pastor of St. Catherine A.M.E. Zion Church in August 2016. Rev. Noble organized several new ministries and under his leadership the plaza in front of the church was rebuilt with a digital sign added. Reverend Noble is very active in the New Rochelle community.